Sunday, February 22, 2009

Freezing Milk?

I was browsing the Internet looking for a topic on milk to write about, when I stumbled upon the headline How to Freeze Milk to Beat Rising Prices. Now immediately I went to the article because I wrote earlier about how the surplus of milk has been effecting the prices of milk. I never knew you could freeze milk and then thaw it and drink it again and it would still be good for you.

I found that it is safe to freeze milk, however by freezing it the milk may change in texture and cause some separation. If you stir it though, it will change the texture almost back to normal. The problem with freezing milk is the separation factor, because it may cause problems when using it in recipes. Skim milk will freeze better than whole milk and milk can be safely frozen for 3 months if it is in a sealed container. The was to thaw the frozen milk is by putting it in the refrigerator. The best part about it is that the milk does not lose any of its nutrients.

Freezing milk is the best way to beat the rising prices. You can spend less money on milk by buying in bulk and freezing it, and its just as healthy for you. So be smart and freeze your milk!

http://www.queercents.com/2009/02/16/how-to-freeze-milk-to-beat-rising-prices/

2 comments:

  1. I do not think I will ever drink milk that has been frozen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with John, frozen milk just doesn't sound appealing. It is a really good idea for those who cannot afford milk as the prices go up, but I can honestly say that the thought of thawing out milk disgusts me. =)

    ReplyDelete