Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Secret to Increase in Milk Production is Naming Your Cow?

As I was searching the Internet today for some interesting news on milk, I came across something that shocked me. I found an article named Study Finds Naming Cows Increases Milk Yield. This intrigued me so I continued to read. Scientists at Newcastle University have found that giving a cow a name, and calling it by that name, for some reason the cow will produce more milk. Farmers can increase their yearly milk yielding by 500 pints by just naming their cows and referring to them by their given names.

Dr. Douglas, who works at the School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development at Newcastle University, said, "Just as people respond better to the personal touch, cows also feel happier and more relaxed if they are given a bit more one to one attention."

For the study, 516 UK dairy farmers were questioned about their views on how humans could affect the productivity and behavior of the cows. About 46% of the farmers said that the cows on their farms had names and were called by these names. For those cows that were called by their names, the farmers were able to receive 258 liters more milk then the cows that did not have names. I find this very interesting. Who knew that it would have as much impact on the cows by simply giving them a name. Then again, when I think of if I never gave my dog a name, I don't think that he would be as loving as he is. I believe that giving something a name gives it a sense of belonging. To me it would affect their whole behavior and perspective of humans. This study backs up that because it shows how giving the cow a name will result in greater production.

Here is the link if you are interested in visiting the article for yourself....
http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=136995

2 comments:

  1. jeez i never thought that naming a cow would be related to how much milk is produced. that is wicked weird but cool at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey man, cows have feelings too you know. if betty wants to be called betty than call her betty. just because she is a cow it does not mean she wants to be called a cow. so go ahead call her betty, make her happy, more milk production.

    ReplyDelete